Wednesday, June 07, 2017

C64



Commodore 64?!!

Okay, I'd bet good money that this was the last thing you expected to see here on an Atari website? Well, I've had this C64 emulator on my drive for a long while and figured that it was about time did something with it. So I started my day by trawling through Old Games Finder looking for cool games which I remembered seeing in C&VG magazine in the early/mid-80s. I really wanted to play Pitfall, Manic Miner and Staff Of Karnath but sadly, I had zero success.

However, others did work (with a caveat of displaying text instead of jazzy pixels) and some crashed the emulator. Yes, I should have read the docs first - lol - yeah right. Basically, almost all games aren't supported if they demand fancy scrolling, sprites or joystick control, etc. What might work are applications, educational titles and so on. Including magazine Type-Ins and many text adventures (impressive, but hardly worth my hassle over the last few hours?)

Okay, I'm no Commie 64 expert but these basic commands might help to get you playing their version of Jetpac...

   LOAD "$",10               (this loads the disk's directory into Ram)
   LIST                      (this lists that directory to screen)
   LOAD "filename.prg",10    (you've guessed it, this loads a program)
   RUN                       (go on, take a stab at what this might do!)

Please note:
     - The "10" is the device ID for my Atari ST's hard drive.
     - If you are running the emulator from floppy disk then you should instead use "8".
     - Copy the Commodore ".PRG" programs into the same directory as the Atari file: "C64.TOS".
     - C64 emulation was tested on my 8MHz Atari STe and then Hatari (same spec) for the animation, above.

I'm not sure who to credit for this emulator but he/her did a great job and the docs indicate many useful intentions. This has been fun and the Commodore 64 is a decent machine (shush don't tell anyone). However, there is no real support for anything more than tinkering, so seeing pixels or playing games was never gonna happen. Plus it would need a faster processor to do much more than you can see in the animation. Having said all that, as is, this is a great emulator and has been a bunch of fun to play with the C64 operating system and some programs.

Sadly, I'm not sure how much longer I can stand the pain of having C64 software stored on my Atari ST's hard drive... it hurts bad! Yes, I think I should delete this evil software and get back to playing properly with my computer ;)

If you fancy a dollop of Commodore fun, the best download (that I've found) is on disk LAN-0066 via Floppyshop and it has the emulator's documentation too. Additionally, Old Games Finder can link to zillions of C64 stuff in the .PRG format. Go on, give it a playtest and enjoy experimenting and running technical code like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment