Saturday, May 19, 2018

Battle Command




If the tanks succeed, then victory follows

Late last year I planned to feature BattleZone but I couldn't get to grips with it no matter how much I tried. I found it sluggish with lethargic controls that didn't feel right. In fact, I hated it and came away quite upset by this deduction. However, I still had the urge to jump into a tank and kill something so how was I going to scratch that itch?

Of course, it can only be Ocean's very own Battle Command - which I've recently bought. The story goes that two factions are at war, and we are in control of a heavily armoured Mauler who must complete a variety of different missions that have us trawling the landscape looking for enemy tanks to shoot. And much more. But let's not kid ourselves and stop right there, because this is basically a BattleZone ripoff and proud of it.

Okay, before we begin, Battle Command is crammed with spinning 3D objects. Like this...





Let's take it for a test drive

First, the controls are absolutely superb so it was easy to control my tank using the mouse for acceleration, turning and firing. It's worth taking the time to arm your tank properly and I had a preference for heat-seeking missiles. Inside the game's box is a nifty reference card that details the extras like: the damage display, a detailed map, and the chance to view our tank from outside - this offers cool perspectives, if kinda pointless.

For those who love a challenge, there is a huge mission selection ranging from the starter through to more advanced tasks like protecting a bridge, accompanying a transport, and even recovering a U-Bomb! Before you begin, the briefing will detail the necessary information and weaponry options - whilst accompanied by more 3D animation. Don't let the thought of tough missions fool you, this is an arcade game through & through.

Unlike Battlezone, this game has a nice framerate which compliments the controls and game style. It's fun roaming the landscapes looking for enemies to kill. The difficulty is always challenging throughout the many assorted ranges of different missions so you're never likely to get bored. And, if you require even more of a challenge, then Battle Command will not disappoint as it features many strenuous missions to test your nerve.





Aesthetics

This has excellent 3D which reminds me of a cross between the obvious along with Mercenary, for some peculiar reason. I was hooked from the moment I saw each mission's 3D imagery swirling but seeing how our tank is dropped by an aeroplane clinches it!! The in-game framerate isn't exactly Resolution 101 but everything is smoother than Atari's effort and the enemy looks great up close. It's an understatement to say I admire the graphics!

Music is amazing on the title whilst the game begins to show off its 3D. Sound effects during gameplay aren't brilliant but certainly nothing like Starglider, for example. They do their job well enough to break the silence.



   



The CryptO'pinion?

Battle Command is a great tactical shoot 'em up but it's not perfect. What I didn't like was the immense size of the play area which feels like a slog for my little tank (and now I sound like Hubert Gruber!). This means opponents feel like they're a zillion miles away - not good for a 320x200 display to cope with. Also, making distant attacks would be impossible but for some suspect collision detection that actually balances things out rather well.

With the bad stuff out of the way, did I enjoy BattleZone... oops, sorry... Battle Command? I most certainly did because it's a stonker and I've enjoyed blasting everything in sight! Even the trees feel the wrath of my uncontrollable insanity. Battle Command is adventurous and bucket loads of fun with eloquent controls.

Overall, a brilliant 3D shooter and one of the best that I have in my collection. Get it downloaded (floppy or hard disk) and then jump inside your tank to kill everything in sight. You'll love every minute of it.



There's nothing quite like flaunting your Atari ST collection! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment